View Single Post
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-02-20, 17:26

Well, given the general flakiness of your system, it's either hardware or software (ba-dum-*pish*).

Hardware is quicker to discount in most cases, if there's flakiness - something needs a reseat, a device with a bad driver is getting accessed, or it's the RAM. (Very, very, very rarely it's hardware related, but not one of those.) Generally speaking, it's faster to check all of those than it is to do a complete backup/reinstall. So do those first, and eliminate most of the possibilities at one shot. That's why I generally reseat memory and drive cables *first* when a machine is acting up. It's quick, easy, and what the heck - it might just solve it.

Then, and only then, start looking at software with the evil eye. You said you recently upgraded to 10.5.2 - it's entirely possible that something in the install got munged. It happens sometimes - a funky bit or cosmic ray (don't laugh, it's true!) and plorp, something goes awry. Try and recall if you have any third party extensions installed, or anything like APE or SIMBL. Those can definitely cause problems during upgrades.

Then, if none of the above is true, *then* it's more possible that it is Leopard itself, and that you've found a bug that no one else (or few others) has. It's possible, but pretty unlikely.

Which kind of makes the "Don't tell me Leopard is stable!" look rather combative, don't you think?

*shrug* I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.