View Single Post
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2008-06-09, 23:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDaver View Post
I too thought the previous data plan was a pretty good bargain.
The iPhone is one of the few EDGE/3G devices that does not support tethering to a real computer - this limitation IMO precludes "bargain" status.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
Perhaps, but I still think people are conflating the issues. To me, the subsidized iPhone price and the $10 3G data plan increase are entirely separate issues.
Well, no - Steve said that they wanted to make owning an iPhone "more affordable", citing survey participants who complained of the additional expense of an iPhone over a typical cell phone. The cost of ownership is comprised primarily of service charges - the initial device cost is minor in comparison.

So yeah, the phone might be cheaper now, but the service is yet more expensive - you'll be paying $199 for the iPhone, then $1680 (excluding taxes and superfluous fees) over the next two years.

Guess what? That means that Apple's release of the 3G iPhone (with the intention of saving the user money) has actually made owning one more expensive, not more affordable. Sure, AT&T sets the data plan prices, but it's Apple's fault for getting involved with them initially.

If Apple wanted to make iPhone ownership more affordable, they'd be best to sell it unlocked, thus allowing for carriers to compete with their respective voice & data plans.

You ask me for a hamburger.