View Single Post
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-07-24, 14:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
The cleanest Hackintosh install would use an EFI-X USB dongle. For the most part it'll run transparently just as any Mac would, major system updates and all. Occasionally you'll have to firmware update the EFI-X module, but that is simple to do too.
I've thought about that too. It's around $200, which actually isn't that much, depending on what sort of system I'm thinking of building. When I first saw the EFI-X, I thought it would be vaporware, but it looks like they really do exist.

Might be worth it given the price difference between off-the-shelf parts vs. pre-built Macs. Adding an EFI-X would probably increase the cost of the system to about equal to an iMac, but it would still be faster and have more internal expansion than an iMac. But I'd have to run some numbers and figure out the actual cost of building a system.

I think the need to need for me or my brother to do all the software updating on an OSx86 Hackintosh is probably reason enough for us to stay away from that. It's attractive for the low price, and it might make sense if we only needed a temporary and very low-cost solution (such as if her computer died tomorrow and she could only spare a few hundred bucks for a new one), but in the long run an EFI-X or just a regular Apple Mac would be a better solution.