View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-04-25, 13:14

Well, everything leaks and nothing lasts forever. But if, within a few months' time, you had to reconfigure something, you're uncoupling a removable system vs. cutting away cemented/"permanent" PVC or piping.

I don't know. I found links that outlined the downsides (can't be used outside, can't be exposed to sunlight, isn't good for unchlorinated(sp?) water, has to be supported every 32" inches for "sag", etc.

I doubt it's a catch-all replacement for traditional stuff. But in the situation yesterday (a fairly short run around some obstacles, in a dark, cool basement, etc.), it seems to fit the bill (so far). It's good for unbroken runs with no joints, only because you can put a little bend or swoop in it and with few leak-points than PVC might require (with the needed joints to route it around some turns). Actually, it was mostly the connectors that came into play for us. This stuff does mate up to traditional PVC (CPVC, actually...the stuff meant for hot water use) and then you can tie it into those SharkBite, no-glue connectors. Makes quick work of basic plumbing/routing. We had some hose with those connectors. Actually, we didn't even use any of the red, white or blue tubing (but a metal braided hose(s) outfitted with these connectors, going to CVPC and tying in to some existing plumbing.

I spoke to them about an hour ago and all is dry and working (been 24 hours now).

We'll see.

I just loved not smelling the cleaner and cement all afternoon...

"Ask This Old House" is also where I learn about new stuff like this too...cool new products, tools, materials, approaches, etc. I often think everything in carpentry, plumbing, electrical, landscaping, etc. has "already been invented". But that's obviously not the case...someone, somewhere, is always working on a better, smarter mousetrap.

As with anything, one would have to be aware of the pros and cons to a particular material or approach. This stuff is no exception. It certainly can't be for everyone, or every situation (location, usage, budget, etc.).