View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-04, 15:37

These days, not much. But 15 or so years ago (and the late-90's and early 2000's), probably.

And most art/drawing apps for the general public are paint/pixel-oriented, just because that's how that stuff is viewed. I know there are some vector-based things (even on iOS), but that's not what most people think of, or learn.

If an Illustrator Elements existed all this time, it might've been a moderate success if people got their heads around the pen tool thing. My first time using it, way back in 1993 or so, I was so confused, thinking "why can't I just draw...it's called the pen tool", not fully realizing/appreciating, at the time, the Bézier curves and how to fully control/manipulate that stuff (which is the heart of Illustrator...or at least a huge, important aspect to learn).

The world is so different now, too. It's app/online/screen-based, vs. printed. That's going to determine what applications have value, or need affordable "Elements" versions, for sure.

Most people could do what they need to do, page layout wise, with Word or Pages, probably. No hobbyist is going to spend Adobe subscription money for InDesign, true.