View Single Post
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-09-25, 12:24

Scanned through this thread and I'm thinking about taking the plunge with a DS920+. I have/had multiple external HDDs running to an old MBP as a media server but found out this AM that it has finally taken a shit and looks like it's dead. Need to find an easier way for a media server and it looks like this is the way to go. DS920+ might be overkill but I like being able to upgrade the RAM. I've never set up a server or anything like that so I'm pretty vanilla. Been watching YouTube videos all morning and it seems pretty straight forward. Would probably go the Plex route because it seems like a better software option than the one that comes from Synology.

Question is, how many HDDs should I get initially and how big? My externals right now are 8TB but I had some room to grow. I can't remember exactly how much off hand. If I go with 2 8TB and set them up in SHR, that will give me one for storage and one for backup, correct? If I have 4 8TB would that be 16TB storage and 16TB backup? Once again, forgive my lack of knowledge.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey