View Single Post
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2011-07-08, 10:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
I think I mentioned before in a book thread that Tess Gerritsen wrote the Rizzoli and Isles books, and I think you said you'd read something she wrote.
Aha! I will now scour the library for the books this week; I have read some of her other work before, so the name is familiar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
Actually smart women who know how to take charge of a situation are appealing as leads (and are sexy to boot). Very, actually.
Thisthisthis. I have a thing for smart and competent brunettes; Jadzia Dax from Star Trek, Emily Prentiss on Criminal Minds, and Ziva David on NCIS immediately jump to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
I don't disagree with that notion, in theory, anyway. But how often do smart, sexy women become homicide detectives or federal agents or sleuthy coroners in reality? And why are all the tv versions of these female characters so good looking? Where is the female version of Monk or House? I think I could go for that, actually.
I don't like men like that, and even I know that men are just as sexualized on television. There are a metric fuckton of females who wet their panties over the guy who plays House, for example. Many shows with male leads- Bones, NCIS, Criminal Minds- often have smart and sexy male leads who are detectives, FBI agents, ex-military men. Why aren't people complaining that the TV versions of male characters are oversexualized and an unrealistic portrayal of the actual hotness of such men in reality? The accusations of "but [females in job x] don't really look like that" stem from the concept that manly men in those kinds of male-dominated positions are obviously attractive, but a female can't possibly be attractive because those jobs go against the sweetness and femininity of real women, so it's of course unrealistic. (Read: the implication that women in 'manly' jobs must be masculine and therefore a lesbian.) It reminds me of all of the Star Trek: Voyager jokes about how of course the female captain lost the ship for 7 years- it's a supposedly-funny response based in the idea that crossing outmoded stereotypes of gender roles is hilarious.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder