View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-07-14, 19:23

I enjoyed Justified when I watched it last year. Few things are funnier to me than Walton Goggins in full-on sinister hillbilly bastard mode (he even slipped into it a few times on The Shield when doing some undercover work). It was a neat show, only because I've known some folks like that.

"Holy hell, I've got cousins who could be on this show!"

The Sons of Anarchy, however, is the most overwrought, trying-too-hard piece-of-crap I've ever sat through. I gave it numerous tries, thinking "I like all the cast members, and the general plot/setting is kinda interesting". But I've never seen a more self-consciously "bad-ass" piece of programming. I suppose there are lowlife jugheads out there who are just like that (would rather fight than fuck, wake up hating law and order, etc.), but it's just not all that fun to sit through, truth be told. I know I watched about 8-10 episodes and just could not get into it. At all.

I'm thinking "they're in this small town...how does everyone not know what they're up to and bust their punk asses?!?"

Katey Sagal's massive hotness is the only redeeming quality, IMO. And even she scares me sometimes.

And Ron Perlman still looks like a chimpanzee, no matter what role he's playing. I see him in something and I just have an uncontrollable urge to eat a banana and fling poop.

I've never seen "Treme", but I'll be honest...I've pretty much seen and heard about all of the Crescent City I care to, these past five or so years*. Watching a fictionalized TV drama about it holds zero appeal for me at this point. Sorry...I'm officially Big Easy-ed out (but I also feel the same way about shows set in L.A., NYC and Miami, so let's not take it too personally, or break a land speed record trying to defend its honor, shall we?).

But I hear it's pretty good and interesting. So who knows...one day I may give it a shot (I'm the guy who came into The Sopranos about 5-6 years late, and fell in love with everything about it). It took A&E putting it in syndication a few years ago for me to finally realize "holy crap, what an awesome show!"

* Countdown to FFL showing up to give me a verbal smack for saying that, in 5, 4, 3...