Thread: Apple Watch
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-02, 21:19

turtle, fair enough. Thanks for the response/feedback. Sounds like you'll enjoy it!

I can't wait to see how it all plays out next year...the pricing, logistics, who jumps on it, who doesn't, which locations/areas it does extra well in, if it winds up (hahaha!) being sold in traditional watch retailers, if there are as-yet-unrevealed capabilities or features (software or otherwise) that really put it over the top (and make it a little extra cooler/special than what we've seen already).

2015 is going to be the year this sort of thing either really takes off, or doesn't. I don't think it's much of a stretch to believe that if someone's going to do this, and make it work (and make people pony up), it'll be Apple. It's cool, just as an Apple guy, seeing the birth and roll-out of a brand-new product (and all that it involves...it's been a while). Even if I don't fully "get it", or have the desire for one, it'll be neat to observe and follow.

torifile, on that Gruber podcast above, he seems to think that Apple's holding something in the bag (or that they're working hard on the battery end of it, to surprise/please everyone with something we're not expecting). Again, Apple - controlling the entire experience, and having a solid background in making small, smart stuff that seems to magically do more than we'd ever assume, just looking at it - are the ones to make this happen.

I said it earlier this thread, but there's still a lot we don't know. They're holding back some stuff, I'm sure, because it'll need another good dose of build-up and PR as launch day nears. There's gonna be a few nice surprises, I'm betting. And one of them could very well be battery life. Didn't some patent drawings come out last year that talked about some battery/power developments? At the time, we all just assume it was iPhone/iPad-bound, but they could be trying to do something big here. The fact they mentioned little-to-nothing about battery on September 9 means a) it's not a done deal, and b) whatever they're working toward, they know it's going to be better in the coming months than they could ever report right now.

And, yes...do not sell your first-generation Apple Watch (hell, Apple anything, IMO). I'm glad I held onto my 2007 first-generation iPhone. Sometimes it's just fun to get it out and mess with it. A great piece of tech history that I'm glad I had the sense to hold onto (I had someone wanting to buy it a few years back, but I declined). I'm 100% convinced this will be the kind of thing I can whip out in a group of like-minded folks in another 10-15 years and get a big reaction. Just blow a bunch of nerds away.

Looking back, I wish I'd bought two and just kept the other completely boxed-up and unused. That would be worth something one day, I think...a pristine, fully-intact (packaging, documentation, accessories) first-generation iPhone. Go on Antiques Roadshow with it!