Thread: Solo
View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-05-30, 13:33

Solo Review

Well, went and saw Solo: A Star Wars Story last night with the kid. Here is what I thought.

*Warning* Spoilers ahead!!

- The opening action was a but confusing, as there was no build-up to it. We came into the movie and our hero was in the middle of stealing something.

- The girlfriend felt a bit forced, and she had the feeling of a character inserted for some future plot twist that ultimately was a bit too predictable.

- Han has no last name, but he is traveling alone. Alas, Han Solo!

- The Solo/Chewie introduction was quite well done. We knew there had to be a story in there somewhere, and I think the way it was told (Chewie as a caged animal and Solo as its meal) provided for a good intro as well as some comic relief.

- The insertion of the thieves (Woody Harrelson and crew) was a bit confusing, although it did work to inject the audience into the situation not knowing what was going on any more than Han.

- The heist was fun and engaging, and did a lot to seal the bond between Han and Chewie, as they went back and forth saving each other’s lives.

- The death of some of the thieves provided an opening for Han and Chewie to get more involved and push their story forward.

- It would have been nice to demonstrate why Han was such a good pilot . Alas, we simply have to take his word for it—something he proves as the movie goes along. The same plot hole is present in Episode VII.

- The fuel explosion is pretty cool.

- The meeting with Dryden Vos is okay, but the sudden appearnace of Han’s girl friend felt extremely forced, and there was no dramatic buildup. She was just “there” and it felt awkward. No explanation, just happened and it did not work for me. Someone I cared about that much and was trying to find, and suddenly they're in my face? I would never have let go!

- Clint Howard!

- The card game with Lando Calrissian was fun, and that Lando was cheating explains a lot about their relationship. That Han lost had me wondering how he was going to get ‘hold of the Falcon.

- The trip to Kessel makes for some good fan service. That was another one of those Star Wars: A New Hope lines of dialogue that has had every serious Star Wars fan slobbering for 40 years. It was fun to get that story, and it was also fun to hear Han bragging about the event by rounding down just a touch. It demonstrated how the story would have evolved just slightly over the years until the Falcon had made the run in 12 parsecs all on her own! I liked it.

- I loved that the Falcon was truly revealed when the escape pod was jetisoned. Nice touch.

- I’m not sure I liked how the rebels came into the picture (as youngsters), but it was good to see that the rebellion was quite young and only just getting started.

- Warwick Davis!

- The encounter with Dryden Vos and Qi’ra again felt forced and too predictable. While I have to admit that I thought Vos would kill Qi’ra, the end of that engagement felt very much like Disney was leaving an opening for part 2 more than hammering together the plot.

- Darth Maul!! Who’da thunk it? Got to yank a character from The Clone Wars. That Qi’ra is answering to him leaves open lots of possibilities that part 2 will answer questions regarding her past. I heard a review (Roz Rants) that there was a character inserted that need not be there, that did not add anything or take anything away, but that it forever changed how we think of Han Solo. I think that review was talking about Darth maul, and it changes nothing. It could be there or not, I agree with that. But it does not change our relationship with Han Solo!

- Regarding this, there are no characters inserted that have any bearing on Solo, nor do they change anything about his past that makes him any different, or me to perceive his character any differently.

- Tobias Beckett gets shot through the chest by thin air. This was bad, and I did not like it. We are supposed to assume that Qi’ra took the shot from her yacht many miles away, but there is nothing that ties this in. Really just dying for the sake of dying when there was no one around to do the killing.

- Han and Chewie find Lando (somehow) and play another game of cards. Han cheats by stealing the card Lando was cheating with and wins the Falcon “fair and square”.

- Roll credits!

_

Overall, I liked the movie. It was fun and engaging, with lots of high speed chases, action, and well-timed comedy. I didn’t feel like there were any stupid jokes for the sake of stupid jokes (I’m looking at you, Rian Johnson). There were a few scenes that bugged me, but nothing that harmed the movie. It was way better than Episode 8 and that mess called the Prequel Trilogy. Not as good As Rogue One (not by a long shot) or the first three, nor as good as Episode 7. So, on my list of favorites, it fits in like this:

Rogue One *****
VII *****
IV *****
V *****
VI ****
Solo ***
VIII **
I *
II *
III *

P.S. If I had half stars, I would toss one at the end of Solo, and remove 9/10ths of a star from I, II and III

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)