View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-23, 18:42

Today I finally took my workouts to a new level. Using NFC tags I can now start my workouts as well as set music and lighting the way I want it with Home and Workout on my Watch!

Mrs T is amazing and makes my lunch so I'm eating very shortly after working out since I normally use my lunch break to do to. She wanted me to remind her of when I did my workout and relied on the notification from the Watch Workout app that I had completed the workout.

There were a few routines I did starting my workout with M, W, F and Tu, Th being the same grouping. The routine is always the same on completing the workout though. So this meant I had three routines that automating would be awesome.

I had one for M, W,F already but it needed to be tweaked. So I updated it to send a message to Mrs T that I started my workout. I also discovered that the automation can trigger the "workout" to start on my Watch too! So now my "Strength Day" NFC tag does the following:
  • Start "Workout Tunes" playlist on iPhone
  • Set playback destination to Gym
  • Turn on Dance Floor Lights
  • Start Traditional Strength Training with Open Goal
  • Send "Starting workout" message to Mrs T

My treadmill day is simpler. I normally watch shows (Bad Batch right now) while on the treadmill so I don't need music:
  • Turn on Dance Floor Lights
  • Start Indoor Run Workout with Open Goal
  • Send "Starting my run" message to Mrs T

The Finished Workout is cool because it works for either day even though Music isn't playing on run days:
  • Pause Music on iPhone
  • Set playback destination to iPhone
  • Turn off Dance Floor lights
  • Turn on basement foyer light
  • Sent "Finished workout" to Mrs T

So now I can simply tap my phone to the specific NFC tag and I don't have to think about it anymore, it just does it. I might even add a control to the start workout ones to turn on the treadmill in case it is off. I always workout at the same time now and it is on a schedule to turn on five minutes before I start my workout so it doesn't seem needed. If I start my workout early though, it would be handy if it just makes sure it is on. I run for 5 minutes before starting my strength routine so it seems to make sense to do this. I think I will now!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.