View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-05-26, 09:17

Throwing more cores at it doesn’t work well for everything though, some things just need brute force of a single powerful core. Does throwing more cores work well for some things? Absolutely. 3D rendering (GPU), yes. Video rendering? Yes (GPU). Complex math problems? Yes. Servers? Yes. Other things, not so much. Benchmark testing bares that much, if you go beyond geek bench scores, some applications got big bumps from more cores, others basically didn’t. Is that due to a lack of multi-core optimizations? I doubt there are many modern apps that aren’t optimized for more cores.

We are getting off track though, Apple has good CPUs now, which was my point, in ever M series Mac, and in iPhones and iPads. I just don’t see developers being CPU limited in what there is right now. Future, of course they will be. What VR/AR needs is more GPU power, not more CPU cores in most cases. Apple’s GPUs are sub-par at best, so they are going to have to focus on that. More GPU cores, more raw power, and a lot more memory. Unless the Studio or a Mac Pro brings top of the line GPU performance, we won’t be getting top of class experience with AR/VR. Maybe I’m wrong on that, depends on what resolution Apple comes with.