View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-20, 18:13

Just FYI, we just got one of the 16" MB Pro 1TB models in for a customer and I am doing a data migration on it right now. Wanted to let all you guys know that the, um, "oldnew" keyboard feels exactly like the current Magic Keyboard. So, if you like that keyboard, then you will love this new thing. If not, then you won't.

Doing a data migration doesn't tell me much about the screen, but the bezel is very thin (l/4" side, and 1/2" top). Noticeably heavier than the 15", and very slightly thicker. The physical escape key and the Touch ID sensor are separated from the Touch Bar and look very nice. The Touch Bar is shorter, and I have to say that I am happy for the return of the inverted-T arrow arrangement.

I use an Apple Magic Keyboard 10-key at my desk every day (typing this on it) and absolutely love it. Personally, I like the butterfly keyboard and have little bad to say about it, but this is my favorite keyboard and knowing that Apple is going this direction is a positive (I'm not saying that for reliability purposes, but for feel).

Edit: Just tinkering with the keyboard and the older style is back in full form, including the longer throw, wobbly key travel (good or bad, you decide), and easy key separation (which should make repairs easier). The strike surface is smaller than the butterfly version, and the throw is about triple the distance. I am assuming this is one of the reasons that the 16" is thicker than the 15". As many people have said that they prefer thicker laptops with a bigger battery and longer travel keyboard, I would have to say that the 16" MBP has solved both of those problems (although the bigger battery complaint is laughable considering where we were with batteries just a few years ago). If you are using the Apple Magic keyboard and buy one of these, the transition from desktop typing experience to laptop is seamless, excepting the arrow keys which now exist in so many configurations I can't even count them. Also, the keyboard cover people (like KB Keys and Macally) have pretty much given up on making keyboard covers for Apple keyboards considering Apple has been through more designs over the past 4 years than in a good chunk of their entire history prior to that.

Oh, let me count the ways:

12" MacBook
MBP TouchBar
2019 MB Air
16" MacBook Pro
Magic Keyboard
Magic Keyboard w/10 key

That's six different keyboards, all with differing key layouts.

Edit 2: Just finished the migration and had a chance to look at the screen. Looks just like the 15" version, only bigger.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-11-20 at 19:41.