View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-23, 20:20

Wow, 6 years later and it is still the same product I used last time.

Guess I could have used search.

There is a very basic setup where you can set the output to be a relative path or a full FQDN. This is handy with WP so you can build the site with an IP address in the URL instead of an FQDN. Then when you publish the site it will be published with the new FQDN. Relative is nice if you want to be able to move it around to something like a from a primary domain to a subdomain. I went relative for this one so I can relocate it down the road easier.

The result is a single ip file. It can be saved to the server the site is hosting or made available to download. Depending on size would determine which option to choose. While large zips can be downloaded through the browser, it would be better to move from the server with CLI options.

The theme for this site was mildly custom, but nothing outrageous. Plugins were minimal and mostly security focused. It handled them like a champ and the results are a static site that is based on relative paths. It did just what I wanted it to do.

The one are I had to do things with manually were linked sites from the side bar. This particular blog had links to previous iWeb sites that were hosted with it. Simply Static did not navigate those and render them. It kept the external link and properly links that, but didn't save the files. I had to manually copy those over to the proper URL for them to work right.

I didn't have to move manually the images and such posted with the site. Everything in the "uploads" folder came with the zip and didn't require any manual at all.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.