View Single Post
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2009-03-17, 13:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Well if nothing else, it will show you how *not* to design a UI library...
Heh, that's exactly what I was thinking. I've never heard anything good about Swing other than the standard issue Java propaganda, and it occurred to me that learning GUI concepts with a crappy UI library might bite me in the ass in the long run when I jump to better designed UI libraries. Oh, the Perils of Java School.

In my intro CS class, my professor had a slide in the lecture for the first day labeled "Java propaganda" which listed all the stuff Sun touts about Java. Sometimes I feel like all my professors know we're getting the short end of the stick by going with Java, and they keep it to themselves I mean I know Java has advantages for getting people into CS... but there are a lot of disadvantages as well.

I was talking to one of my professors the other day, actually, and I asked him what he thinks about the whole Java school controversy. He said it's a little overblown but it's not without a kernel of truth. He did, however, have a very interesting solution:

Intro CS - Python
Data Structures - Java
300-level courses - C++

Learning three different languages in as many courses, which all have very different design goals, would result in students having a lot of flexibility when they reach the 300-level, which would mean that electives could easily be taught in a language most appropriate for the content rather than using Java as a catch all compromise.

Quote:
Eh, I'd say go ahead and take it. The knowledge you learn may not be 1:1 transferable to Cocoa, but it will still be valuable.
Good advice. Looks like my two CS classes will be Programming Languages and Swing

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2009-03-17 at 19:40.