Thread: The New Mac Pro
View Single Post
Frank777
Veteran Member

2019-06-05, 08:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
1) I disagree with your first statement. Although that could happen, there are editing studios that pay $30,000+ for editing rigs. The new Mac Pro is intended for them. And, yes, I bet Apple is looking directly at Apple TV+ as the primary proving ground.
I don't doubt that its core customer base is there, I just think the whole reason the new Pro exists is to provide a "halo effect" for the TV project.
That is, if there was no Apple TV+ coming, the new Pro wouldn't be anything like this.

A core customer of previous Mac Pro/Power Mac segment has been print shops, and Apple is still perfectly content to tell them to buy iMacs.
(The iMac probably has the horsepower they need, but they do like bigger pivoting displays and lots of internal/upgradable storage.)

Quote:
2) We all would. And there is a market, just not one that Apple wants to compete in. Why? No clue, but from a sales standpoint, I really wish they would. We could sell hundreds of $2000 8-core i9-powered towers.
This is the G4 Cube market segment that Apple dabbled with, and the original "we innovated ourselves into a thermal problem" before the Trash Can.

They filled it with the iMac Pro instead of a tower. Apple has a phobia about mid-range towers, I'm not sure why.

When I had a Power Mac, I upgraded it semi-regularly. Then Apple forced me into a 2009 27" iMac, and I knew it would have little upgradability, so I bought specs I thought were somewhat future-proof. I haven't upgraded my main machine now in ten years (this fall...) How is that better for Apple?

Quote:
3) The ProDisplay XDR is a very inexpensive Reference Monitor, not a "display" as we think of them. I did a quick Google, and the cheapest competitor I could find was a 4k thing at $5000. For the most part, they range from $15,000 to $40,000! So, this display with the optional stand at $6000 is one helluva great value!
Yeah, like I said, it's a product built for the movie industry. I don't think I've ever seen Apple target a niche industry this specifically before.

The question is, will a 'regular' 32" display come for MacBook Pro customers?

Quote:
4) Wrong! Apple specifically stated that the ProDisplay XDR will work with any TB3-equipped Mac.
I'm genuinely surprised the Mac Mini can drive that monster of a monitor. Maybe for my upgrade this fall, I should look at a Mini instead of the iMac.