View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-08-26, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Now, you could say that my proposed $999 aluminum/three-pound/14-inch-ish MacBook and $1299 two-pound-ish/12-inch MacBook Air scenario is a lot like the 2015-2018 MacBook Air/12-inch MacBook scenario, and the 12-inch MacBook was just discontinued. But I think the difference is one of expectation: in my plan, the 12-inch $1299 model wouldn't be expected to be the new mainstream notebook for all people, like the 12-inch MacBook was.
Sure. (I honestly don't know what Apple was thinking calling it the "MacBook" but having it start at $1,499. Even if Core M / Core-Y had gone up in performance faster than it actually did — say, because of a Cannon Lake-Y that never ended up shipping, and even if they had subsequently dropped the price to, say, $1,199, which seems quite a tall order, it would still have been an oddball product to have as the one mainstream Mac laptop the masses would buy.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I just...I just can't make sense of the new Air, chuck. It's ~90% the weight of a MacBook with a 28W processor, and it has a 7W processor and a fan that is just sort of hanging out off to the side. It just doesn't seem ideal, for like anyone. And Apple's acting like it's the return of the king. I have to hope it's a stopgap and will be a relatively short-lived design.
Then why did you try to have your friend buy one.