View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-09-02, 01:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Ditto.

Since the Watch started with the 'Series 0', isn't the Series 6 actually the seventh generation?
Sort of, but the "Series 1" was so called in part because it was really just a revised Series 0 with a newer CPU (basically the Series 2's dual-core CPU, but no GPS). It's still a bit unfortunate, because doubling the cores did make it much faster (who would have thought?), which was so critical that they had to drop support in watchOS 5 altogether*. For the Series 0, that is. Not the 1. Which I imagine led to endless "no, ma'am, your watch is the first generation, not the Series 1; you see, there was actually a generation before 1… yes ma'm… no, ma'm, I don't make the product names" calls.

*) That part I don't criticize. Getting three major OS upgrades is still pretty great. However, as with the original iPhone and iPhone 3G, watchOS 4 is reaaaaaally slow once you want to do anything non-trivial like, uh, launch an app.

A more honest branding would have been to retroactively change the original version to the Series 1, and to call the revised one a Series 1.1, or whatever. So I do think calling the 6 the sixth generation is fine.