View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-15, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
but then got worse, again, after I built the Monument Tower. I never factored in the delay caused by 15,000 animated Prismarine bricks. didn't even think about it. Not until I was up around 180 blocks above ground and was afraid of running off the edge because the frame rates were so crappy. It's terrible, and the only solution is to bring it down (or move it should copy/paste become an option, again).

There's no way to fix the current map. This needs to happen when we start fresh.
Soooo… last night and this morning, I decided to try some Minecraft science because I wasn't willing to give up on downtown just yet. I pulled a copy of the map from the server to load up into a single-player game, and I spent a few hours experimenting with commands in various places to try to isolate the biggest offenders. On my system running vanilla Minecraft with draw distance set to "normal", my experiments suggest like the current heaviest drags downtown are caused by…

*drumroll*

Spoiler (click to toggle):
item frames, minecraft hoppers, chickens (and their item drops), sheep, mooshrooms, and hostile baddies underground

I found that the game was spending a disproportionately high amount of processing time dealing with entities when traveling through the downtown area. So, I tried nuking entity types one by one, reloading a fresh copy of the world between takes. Wiping these entities around the downtown area generally doubles the frame rate for me. I measured by finding a particularly bad area, and standing and watching that same spot with each experiment. At this spot, it went from consistently 27 FPS to consistently 54 FPS. This makes playing through that area much smoother. It's not quite "new world" fast, but it's significantly and noticeably better.

If you are familiar with the debug screen's output, you'll see that this cut's the total entity count by more than half and the visible entity count to about one-seventh from this position.

I'd *really* like to do the same kind of cleanup operation on the main server to see if it has as much of an impact on gameplay performance. There's a poorly-lit ravine that runs under and just north of town that I'd go into and light up to reduce baddie spawn rates. Removing the other aforementioned entities would mean effectively disabling the following things around downtown:

Spoiler (click to toggle):
  • bobsky's chicken farm
  • turtle's chicken farm
  • turtle's villager crop farm
  • brad's animal house
  • grey's mooshroom house
  • grey's snowball farm
  • various item frame signs
    • the record store
    • fronts of the animal and mooshroom houses
    • the stoplight
    • the chicken farm
    • the fishing hut by the chicken farm
    • around the giant glass dragon egg
    • more in nearby places I'm not sure where, but the /kill command will get them nonetheless!

Any immediate objections?

I haven't tried replacing MT's animated texture with a static block type yet. I'll try that this afternoon too and report back with findings.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.