View Single Post
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2011-07-29, 14:06

(Correct me if I'm in error. )

Apple is huge and it's growing. It has plenty of cash and has been a trend setter consistently for 14 years. It's claims to be mainly a hardware company, but has in many if not most eyes superior software. No longer is are graphics its bread and butter, but rather it's the bonus. Affordable desktops, innovative laptops, doesn't jump on bandwagons, but time and time again has proven its foresight. What is next?

If AAPL were to purchase a company to augment areas it lacks in vertical integration or features it they don't provide in its ecosystem to a satisfactory degree, what company would augment them best?

IMO I feel that Google, ARM or AMD/Ati would be most beneficial.

1) Google: With search primarily and ideally closer integration with iOS or 10.x (of the top of my head a simplified web based OS for on the go while without your Apple device, better suite of online productivity apps, time machine online like mozy or carbonite considering Google's capacity and/or spotlight online. Android is open, free to edit, spin off, etc., in addition to the fact the iPhone and iOS was never considered a monopoly, antitrust issues seems negligible.

2) ARM: Keeping with intellectual property over manufacturing, Apple can further produce better processors from a proven company for its phone & tablet devices. Further vertical integration without the need to sell to competitors considering competition within this market does exist.

3) AMD/Ati: A two in one deal. AMD, A company that use to be infamous for products missing deadlines and Apple, a company famous for announcing nothing early seem to be a match made in heaven. Apple potentially making CPUs and GPUs across its entire lineup further improve efficiency, intellectual property and exclusivity with ideally integrated AMD/Ati devices across mobile platforms and remain windows compatible can be lucrative.

Then again, I often talk out of my ass. Still if AAPL wanted to, hypothetically, AAPL, on paper*, can buy out MSFT or both INTC & GOOG. Cash and the leveraged buyout.

*By market capitalization.

Retired 8 years ahead of schedule.