Thread: CarPlay
View Single Post
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-03-06, 14:19

Couple of data points on the Maps front (which after all is a pretty significant part of any car OS deal):

I was an early defender of Maps, since it seemed to work fine for me (admittedly I live in the Bay Area, where you would expect it to be as good as it gets). But recently I've had two massive fails. In one instance I was already on the freeway when I asked Siri how to get somewhere, and Siri failed to take note of the fact that I was on an elevated highway and began to demand that I TAKE A LEFT. Off the freeway. To my death.

Then I tried asking after the location of a particular lighting supply, Holzmueller. Biggest theatrical lighting place in the Bay Area, and Siri even got the spelling right from my spoken command. But didn't know what it was.

My impression is that is the big shortcoming with the Siri/Maps implementation, that asking after local businesses is woefully dysfunctional. Point to point by address, not so bad (although, really Siri? Through the guardrail and a 100' down?). If Apple can't get that working properly, who cares how well it integrates with your existing hardware in your car. If I can't say "Where is the nearest Walgreens or How do I get to Bob's Burgers?" and get a reasonable response then it's not very useful.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated