Thread: CarPlay
View Single Post
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-03-06, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
In one instance I was already on the freeway when I asked Siri how to get somewhere, and Siri failed to take note of the fact that I was on an elevated highway and began to demand that I TAKE A LEFT. Off the freeway. To my death.
I agree with your point about the limited usefulness of Siri – I think it’s amazing and futuristic that it works as well as it does, but it’s still not good enough to be generally worth the hassle – but mistaking which road you’re on and consequently giving bad directions is a common sat-nav problem. If there are two roads near enough to each other that the GPS receiver can’t ascertain which one you’re on, the cleverest software in the world can only guess until it has enough clues to figure it out. In the meantime, if it guesses wrong, it’ll merrily tell you all kinds of nonsense based on its thinking you’re on a parallel road.

In France many autoroutes are built alongside older roads, and my Garmin (admittedly five years old) often thinks I’m on the parallel road for kilometres at a time, never mind that I’m doing 130 km/h through junctions and mini roundabouts.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.