View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-03-21, 11:17

Apple - I spoke with a Doug, who pulled all the strings - replaced my power supply and some other things on a long-out-of-warranty/Applecare 20" aluminum iMac years ago (iMac would randomly shut down, screen go black, flicker, refuse to boot on occasion, etc.). They certainly didn't have to. I was only trying to get some sort of answer on what the repairs cost would be at my local authorized repair place (at the time, MacAuthority...they're now Simply Mac, out at the mall) and, next thing I know, I'm getting an email from Apple and told "we got this, don't worry about it".

I nearly fainted.

I emailed Doug back and sang his/Apple's praises for a paragraph or two. Still have the emails, just to remind myself that good people/companies still exist, and go above-and-beyond what they have to. As much as I may rag on them and some of their post-Steve decisions/designs, they've absolutely taken care of me on the three times I truly needed it. It's a two-way street. Goodness knows I've thrown them at least 25-30 (maybe more?) iPhone and Mac customers they never would've had otherwise, so it's a nice arrangement. We've both benefitted, these past 20+ years. They're probably out about $1,300 total on me, while I've sent probably $20K or more their way. A drop in the bucket, for sure. But $20K+ is $20K+...that didn't go to Dell or Android/Google.

It's awesome that they're so cool about stuff, even when you spill a beer on it. I realize you're out $299, but, last I checked, that's a lot less than $1,999+.