View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-22, 09:19

Ebby's story does remind my of why I moved from the DS413j to the DS418, it got wet! Remember me posting about it raining on my network rack a while ago? That is what killed my DS413j:

The logic board was swimming. The amazing part, my data was all retained. I literally got my new NAS and put the drives into the slots in the same order I pulled them out of the old one. Booted and I had all my volumes intact. I did have to reconfigure the DSM with the move, but I didn't lose the data.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
How do OS upgrades on the Synology normally happen? How would you "factory reset" and reinstall it from scratch? Is there a way to back up its settings, or are you just stuck redoing everything manually like you experienced?
It is a normal software update like anything else. A few minutes to download, process and reboot. It can take up to 30 minutes and there isn't really any progress indicators of it, but it works well. I've done it from DSM 4 to being on 7 now.
Quote:
Also, are you able to get a root shell (ssh?) into its system (not your files)? Or are you limited to what you can poke in their GUI?
You create an admin user and shell in with that user. You can then sudo if needed. Of course, your primary use might be an admin too, but I have a specific user that is my main admin for the NAS that isn't limited at all. I sudo to root as needed/wanted from there. Really though, there is little that is needing root in shell. Scripting can all be done by normal users and kicked off with "Scheduled Tasks" in the DSM control panel.
Quote:
Maybe this is answering my earlier question about root shell access, but could you install docker-compose somewhere via command line? Or are you limited to what the GUI apps provide?
Yes! I use docker-compose for my tt-rss install in fact! I will caution this though, paths are not the same in the NAS as they would be in a *nix docker install. You will have to work through the paths for certain things. Might not be a problem for you, but I'm not very good with docker so it is a massive learning curve for me.
Code:
MyAdmin@borg:/volume1/docker/ttrss/ttrss-docker$ ls -lah total 24K dr-xr-xr-x+ 1 root root 178 Jul 20 08:54 . drwxr-sr-x 1 1000 1000 86 Jan 31 17:24 .. dr-xr-xr-x+ 1 root root 84 Jul 20 08:38 app dr-xr-xr-x+ 1 root root 54 Jan 30 21:04 config.d -r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 1.4K Jul 20 08:54 docker-compose.yml -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 883 Jan 14 2022 .env -r-xr-xr-x+ 1 root root 1.8K Jul 20 08:38 .env-dist dr-xr-xr-x+ 1 root root 234 Jul 20 08:50 .git -r-xr-xr-x+ 1 root root 117 Jul 20 08:38 .gitignore -r-xr-xr-x+ 1 root root 5.7K Jul 20 08:38 README.md dr-xr-xr-x+ 1 root root 60 Jul 20 08:38 src dr-xr-xr-x+ 1 MyAdmin users 36 Feb 4 18:43 themes.local dr-xr-xr-x+ 1 root root 64 Jan 30 21:06 web-nginx MyAdmin@borg:/volume1/docker/ttrss/ttrss-docker$
If you have to rebuild:
Code:
root@borg:/volume1/docker/ttrss/ttrss-docker# docker-compose down && docker-compose rm root@borg:/volume1/docker/ttrss/ttrss-docker# docker-compose pull && docker-compose up -d
Quote:
This was something I was concerned about too. I see that all Synology products have the CPU soldered to the board, and the "mid range" DS920+ I was just looking at has a Quad-Core 2GHz Celeron J4125. At least I could upgrade the stock 4GB RAM to 8GB. Totally fine for the storage side of NAS, like you said, but I'm surprised it would run well with demanding services like Plex (I assume you're not transcoding anything in HD?) and Minecraft (just a couple LAN players?). If I were to build something, of course I'd have the freedom to throw any chip in there, and I'd start with something way better than a Celeron (at least an i3 or i5).
I had to remind myself that this is a NAS, not a full on server. Yes it can do many things, but in the end it is a NAS. I will (and do) have a server for heavy compute tasks. This is why my Plex server is now on dedicated hardware. My VMs run on ESXi host and such. Things like Homebridge are lightweight and EASILY handled by the NAS with docker, so there it sits. I will say, buying bigger is better since you can't upgrade the hardware but in the end you really have to know what purpose you're buying the hardware for and go from there. If you plan to run media on the NAS, you REALLY want a CPU that can do the hardware transcoding. It makes a huge difference.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2022-07-22 at 12:49.