View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-03-18, 19:54

I admit defeat.

I've officially succumbed to the iPhone. It's just so...iPhone-y. All other words fail me; that's the only adjective that can adequately describe its awesomeness. I mean, it's an Apple phone.

I never really stood a chance.

Of course, it helps that I'm officially free of paying T-Mobile an early termination fee (as described here). So now, the question is no longer if, but when.

Specifically, I need to decide whether I'm going to wait for a 3G iPhone or not. And I need to decide in the next few weeks.

There are two distinct scenarios:

1. I hop on GoPhone for a few months and then I sign a (two-year ) contract when the iPhone is released.

PROS: I get the iPhone the day it comes out, and I'd also be able to use GoPhone to make sure the network is kosher
CONS: I'll be on GoPhone until June, my iPhone will be EDGE only, and I'll feel really stupid when the 3G iPhone is released

2. I sign a one-year contract with AT&T proper, and pray that the 3G iPhone comes out in January.

PROS: My iPhone will have super fast data...
CONS: ...someday.

I don't know what to do. It might be one thing if I had until June to decide, but I only have so much time to cancel T-Mobile without paying their ETF. I mean, what if I sign a contract and then they announced that the current iPhone has 3G data? Or what if I sign a contract but the 3G iPhone doesn't ship until December '08? I guess in that respect hopping on GoPhone is the most flexible (I could always decide later that I want to wait for the 3G model, although I wouldn't be able to upgrade to it until ten months into my contract, no matter when it came out) but I'd only have voice and texts as long as I was on GoPhone (and not many minutes at that).

I get to pick my poison. I can have the best mobile web brower around, with slow data. Or I can have a sucky browser with super fast data. I can't have both (until some unspecified point in 2008).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong