View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-02-14, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
This may sound silly to all you MC lurkers, but I'd like to talk roads.

I think (and I'll take the blame for this) the sandstone roads in TN are just a waste of perfectly good sandstone. I'd like to propose that we go back to the cobble/half-slab roads (ala BP) once we get to the new world. Also, I'd like to make a suggestion (up for debate) that the roads be 3 cobble wide, 5 with the traditional half-slab edging. My reasoning for that is that we can lay glowstone in the center lane every 7 blocks. Sure, in town we can still do the hanging lighting (centered between the glowstone blocks), but I think it would be a nicer alternative than torches everywhere* on the road.

Of course that brings up the offshoot discussion. To that I say, I know, believe me. I've woken up in cold sweats because I had a dream that a 3-wide path was built towards my double doors. Odds or evens is the ultimate MC question, but I think it will be a nicer city with a 5 wide block road globally, and 4 block "paths" branching out to our double-doorways.

So, roads. Since we seem to all be spinning our wheels waiting for the next drop I thought I'd put something out there that we could decide on early.

*I long for a torch-free city, tbh. Not that I want a glowstone world, but torches placed without regard for pattern make my head asplode. That's just me.
I really like that idea. Having torches on each side of the road every two blocks (!!!) always seemed excessive to me. (No offense, whoever put them there.)

The only thing I don't like about that idea is that if you want to have your 4-block-wide offshoot path be centered between two of the 7-apart glowstone on the main road, it couldn't be. Right? But I suppose you could just have 6-apart glowstone there, if it didn't mess up anything else (like keeping it from matching a parallel street). Maybe?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong