Thread: iPhone 2012 ;)
View Single Post
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2011-10-08, 16:48

I view this issue from a slightly different perspective.

The crutch here isn't dogmatic refusal to use larger screens. It's more rooted in legacy.
Keeping the same design for a couple of years allows your accessories market to recoup their
production investment.

The next is the tether. While we remain tethered to physical interfaces like sync cables and
dock adapters we will be funneled into static hardware designs.

The move is already underway to rectify this and once it's complete the size of the iOS device
matters not.

With iOS 5 we've eradicated the need for sync cables via Wifi Sync/iCloud backup
With Airplay we've eradicated the need for physical audio cables.

What's needed now is the replication of all dock functionality other than power over a wireless technology replete with
control and metadata.

The future looks like this:

I come home...I place my my iPhone or iPad tablet into any of the power receptacle to charge it. These devices report to the home network and
broadcast their services. In my bedroom my iHome clock sends/receives music data as well as my alarms to the devices. My Apple TV sends/receives
much more data because it subscribes to many more services.

Everything is tied to gather by Bluetooth, Wifi and other technologies. Once this happens I've eliminated all need for the dock to be anything more than a
power receptacle and I've neatly sidestepped the need to provide a specific form factor for my devices.

HM

omgwtfbbq