View Single Post
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-07-02, 21:55

So, I had a Genius Bar appointment scheduled for this after chatting with a support rep online, but he said one thing that made me rethink it.

He asked if I had started with a fresh install and then a fresh user, without migrating. I hadn't done that (hadn't done that in probably 15 years to be honest. Just always migrated)

Did that and have slowly started adding things back that I need as I remember them.

Surprisingly, this seems to have stopped whatever was happening. I have been running the iMac for over a day without a random restart and everything seems to be ok so far.

As a related noted, I recently got a Thunderbolt Display to hook up to the iMac and it was running very hot, but I couldn't figure emote why. Now, with a fresh install, it is running much cooler.

I guess I just had some random things that over the course of 10-15 years piled up and caused some kind of issue.

Really hoping this solved whatever it was as I'm not a fan of being on a first name basis with my local Apple Store Genius.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.