View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-19, 10:51

I tend to burn out on all these "home redecorate and re-do" shows (Trading Spaces seemed to spawn about 420,000 rip-offs...check the TLC and HGTV schedules for proof).

However, this show is kinda sweet because on the two or three episodes I've seen, it seems a well-deserving, kicked-in-the-butt-by-life family gets something very nice done for them.

Two in particular - a large family where the still-young (40-something?) father had recently died and the Mom was left with about five or six kids, and the family with two deaf parents and one autistic son and the other teen son who acted as the "glue" who held everything together and seemed like a really decent kid - kinda touched me, I won't lie.

When these two families got their new, re-done houses...I totally teared up. The kids had their own rooms, reflecting their interests, the deaf dad got his own little backyard woodshop, the widowed mom got a resort style master bedroom/bathroom suite she could retreat to, the autistic boy got a downstairs playroom outfitted with toys and activities suited to his condition, siblings of wildly varying ages no longer had to share the same room or beds, etc.

It was nice.

If you gotta have "reality" type shows, I'd rather see something like this where people are doing good for others and actually making a difference, rather than all that other horseshit (screwing around, cheating, backstabbing, complaining, conniving, crying, hysterics, fake drama and tension, airheads, assholes, etc.) most of the other shows are based on and wallow in.

More power to 'em (the Extreme Makeover folks). They - unlike those "Big Brother" and "Temptation Island" nimrods - can sleep well at night.