View Single Post
Wrao
Yarp

2006-01-16, 21:06

There will not be a mid-range, 'headless imac', new cube...whatever. The mini is the new cube, and the iMac(especially with monitor spanning) is more than enough for the average user. Apple doesn't like to cater to the DIY market, because the DIY market fucks shit up. I am positive on this much.

Other thoughts:
iSights will be included in all apple portables, and there might be a price drop/spec boost on the standalone iSight. If you don't like it, that's too bad, it doesn't cost apple much to do, and the benefits really do outweigh the occasional naysayer. I wouldn't be surprised if we see iSights embedded into apple's displays, but, perhaps not since they are definitely pro displays and many people run them concurrently, it wouldn't make sense to have 2 iSights.

I don't think we'll see leopard, but I wouldn't completely rule it out. Vista will be making headlines later this year, if for marketing purposes alone it might serve apple to have their next release ready sooner than later.

The current iMac case is perfect. The only thing apple could do is make it trimmer. I'm sure they will do this, but I don't think we'll see any major case design revisions for some time. If we do, it'll be an improvement on the current design in someway, perhaps an improved stand(with rotational capabilities)

I think we'll see a light, under 1" thick widescreen notebook from apple. It will probably replace the iBook. Though I wouldn't preclude the possibility that apple might diversify their portable lines some more, adding many models. Especially since their notebooks outsell their desktops.

I do not think there will be a special 30th anniversary mac, but I wouldn't rule out a 30th anniversary iPod. Something simple, costing $50 than a regular iPod, but with some simple commemorative engraving.

I think the mac mini will step into the set-top box territory a little. I don't think apple will go full on with that market just yet, but I suspect when the mini is updated it will get more extensive video out options, a TV card and front row.

Out of the ballbark idea would be the idea of apple making a 40-50" TV with a built in computer. Or apple making an HD projector with a computer built into it. Both of these are kinda silly ideas but, apple does seem interested in the media center experience, but they are stepping into it delicately so far. It's not totally outlandish to say a computer company would make a plasma TV(gateway sells plenty of plasma TVs). I don't know if apple's name would be strong enough to market such a product, and it's a small enough niche that it mightn't be worth it at all. But, I would still love to see it. heh.