View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-17, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah
You totally forgot a replacement for the 12" pbook. Your macbooks dont make a suiting replacement for a high speed pro laptop for around 1500.

Whats your prediction?
Believe me, I didn't forget about it - the 12" Powerbook is one of my favorite Macs ever, even if it is the black sheep of the Powerbook family. I'm just not sure what the future holds for a small pro notebook. I don't think Apple will ignore one - that'd create a $1,000 gap in the MacBook line - but I'm not entirely sure we'll see one...it's possible Apple just drops the price of the MacBook Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
I'm not convinced that a MacBook mini would be the low end laptop. I think Apple would aim it at mobile executives seeking the ultimate ultra-portable, and price it accordingly. Think 1.8" hard drives, thinnest-ever enclosure, etc.

Most ultra-portables on the market today are NOT aimed at the bottom of the price bracket.
Yes, but Apple has always done it differently. If the iBook grows in size when it becomes a MacBook (like it almost certainly will), I can see Apple making a small notebook (slightly smaller than the 12" Powerbook) to be positioned below it - as if the 14" iBook became the MacBook, and the 12" iBook became the "MacBook mini," both shrinking a bit in the process (the current designs are four years old, after all).

I think that, by fall, Apple could make a new MacBook mini a bit smaller than the 12" Powerbook, even at $799 (and without using 1.8" drives, to boot). While the 12" Powerbook is "tighter" than the iBook, it's still encumbered by the same four-year-old design - a MacBook mini could be thinner, if nothing else.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong