View Single Post
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-06-04, 08:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegong
I would advise you to get the powerbook over the iBook. I've had 2 ibooks, the first one was the first generation dual usb ibook and now I have the iBook G4.

The first one i had was of great quality and feels like a pro machine build. The one I have now feels cheap and crappy. It's like a piece of shit plastic moulded together. The letters on the keys have rubbed off, I have trackpad problems and my hard disk won't spin down. The battery too isn't that great.

I sooo regret not having paid 300 more for the powerbook.
That’s strange – I thought that current generation of iBooks had a reputation for being pretty robust. This is as opposed to the immediately previous generation, for which I understood there were problems for some users Meanwhile, I thought there were some quality issues – at least at first – with the current generation of PowerBooks. Can anyone fill me in here? Are there any objective measurements (e.g., problems/repairs per 1000 units) that are kept by consumer groups that could compare the different models, and indeed also compare them to PC laptop quality? I know that Macs have a reputation for higher quality, but is this just anecdotal or is there some overall quality data that is kept?

As for the look and feel element, I must say that my own subjective assessment of the current iBook is very positive. I know there are differences in opinion on this, but I don’t feel that it seems cheap at all.

All this being said, I probably will not be buying anything for the next few months, for reasons I have talked about above. Damn furnace.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.