View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-04, 18:56

I had that album - who didn't? - back when I was in high school (it was 1984, right? Or thereabout...) and I read the lyrics and got, right away, that it was NOT the "rah, rah...feel good, fist pumping" song everyone took it for.

I loved the words and when I'd see people on news reports or, worse, MTV Music News TOTALLY missing it, I'd just roll my eyes. Kinda like this...

A definite downer song, but if all you're hearing to is the music and the chorus (which, no doubt, most probably did), then it's taken by some to be a counterpart to that sappy Lee Greenwood song that rears its head about every eight years.

It's anything but.

But that's politicians for you. Some geeky aide, considered "hip" by the older members of the entourage, probably suggested it. But Bruce ain't a Republican and all President Reagan or his staff would have to do is read a couple of interviews to know that Springsteen probably wouldn't be nuts about the idea of Reagan using the song.

Hell, they probably went and asked Don Henley and Cher next.

"You see, Mr. President. This Don Henley was in a musical group called The Eagles...and we all know that the eagle is the proud symbol of America. He's GOTTA be one of us. Shall I make the call, sir?".

Meanwhile, Henley probably hated Reagan more than any musician going.