View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-05-19, 07:19

Interesting story at AppleInsider.

Quote:
Apple's Final Cut Studio suite of video post production apps is getting a significant makeover to better target the software to the mainstream of Apple's customer base rather than high end professionals.
I don't know if these changes are going to leave those "high end professionals" behind, but that's hard to imagine Apple completely abandoning such an important, bread-and-butter segment.

Besides, I thought Final Cut Express was that middle-ground, "more than iMovie, not quite Final Cut Pro" solution that was affordable and relatively approachable by mid-level, semi-experienced users?

I'm missing something in all this.

The article above also talks about Apple hiring new interface designers for their pro apps.

If they "dumb" Final Cut Pro down (and give it some sort of wacky iMovie '08-like makeover), there are going to be zillions of pissed off folks out there. I don't even want to imagine the caterwauling and gnashing-of-teeth that will ensue.

I thought FCP and its accompanying apps were the "standard", used by many out there. And they've got workflows and processes in place that probably won't respond well to a completely retooled suite.

I was kinda joking the other day when I talked about the people who whined that Apple wasn't focusing on their Mac and pro segments anymore, now that the iPhone and iPad are out there. But damn, when I read stories like this one, like with the ongoing Mac Pro delays, I have to wonder...

Five years from now, will there just be an iMac, a notebook line, pods, phones, pads and consumer and "prosumer" software titles from Apple? High-end pros will have to look elsewhere, both for hardware and software?

Surely not? Say it ain't so.

Anyway, just curious to hear what folks here who use the above think about such news? I'm kinda surprised there wasn't already a thread on it, as the story was on both AppleInsider and MacRumors last night.