View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-01, 12:38

The woman who claimed she had 16 personalities - and caused Sally Field to make a shitty movie about it ages ago - admits it was all untrue.

She's mentally ill, to be sure, just not in the way she sold to the world.

From the article above:

Quote:
When Sybil first came out in 1973, not only did it shoot to the top of the best-seller lists — it manufactured a psychiatric phenomenon. The book was billed as the true story of a woman who suffered from multiple personality disorder. Within a few years of its publication, reported cases of multiple personality disorder — now known as dissociative identity disorder — leapt from fewer than 100 to thousands.
Gee, imagine that. What are the chances?

**Please note that I linked NPR as the source, so we don't all have to get into the weeds (again) over which questionable UK tabloid (or conservative echo chamber) I might've carelessly used to share a story. For any resident journalistic integrity gatekeepers who require their news and information from serious sources drier (and more fact-checked) than Zsa Zsa Gabor's cooter canyon, the above is for you. I'll be sure to limit any Weekly Wacky World Gazette and Newt's House o' Newz citing to a dull roar, going forward. From here out, it's only NPR and Smoking Gun for me! Because I wanna be believed, dammit! More than anything!**