View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-06-12, 07:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
The "G" naming convention started with the G3, but the previous processors were referred to (by some; I don't know if they were internal code names or just nicknames) as the G1 and the G2.
Motorola uses the "G" nomenclature on their PowerPC roadmaps. They just don't use it in marketing. IBM, on the other hand, don't use it at all, and Apple *only* use it in marketing.

(edit) Here's a mirror of a 1999 Motorola roadmap showing G1 through G6: http://www.soisolutions.com/roadmap.pdf

Quote:
What about Apple? If the PowerBooks get a Pentium M, will they call that the G6, resulting in G6 PowerBooks being sold alongside G5 PowerMacs? That won't work. Apple may leave the naming to Intel and not try to assign names themselves. It seems to work okay for the other companies that use Intel CPUs. Maybe their general-issue marketing will simply say "X GHz Intel processor" and you'll have to look a little closer to see exactly which one it is.
They might go back to their previous system with four-digit numbers, although I'd rather they use less digits. AMD and (based on the idea) Intel now use three-digit numbers to specify processor model and speed, e.g. Opteron 246, where the "2" signifies 2 processors and the other two digits refer to speed and revision of the model (this works differently now that the Opteron is multi-core).

With Apple, I could see a similar system -- the first digit signifies screen size (12, 15, 17 inches), and the second and third refer to the revision and specs, e.g. the "501" ( ) would be the first 15-inch Intel-based PowerBook, and the 511 would be a slightly enhanced version.

Last edited by chucker : 2005-06-12 at 07:58.