View Single Post
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-06-12, 12:41

No, I'm only referring to the name of their processors. Apple has been leaving the processor names out of their model names for a long time now. Well, kind of. They still include the processor name for Macs that have undergone a change in CPU (PowerMac, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, but not the mini and eMac). But they may as well be leaving them out. I mean, half the time you're talking about a PowerBook G4, you're simply saying "PowerBook," perhaps adding the CPU speed or revision number as an indicator of which model you have.

Apple's not going to return to putting numbers on their computers. That went away pretty quickly once Steve Jobs came back to Apple... starting with the PowerMac G3, no PowerMac has carried its model number in its name. Same goes for the PowerBook G3.

I'm guessing Apple will just refer to the processors they use in the Intel Macs as whatever Intel calls them. The developer machines use a Pentium 4 660 (3.6 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, Prescott core). I bet Apple will just use those.