View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-13, 11:27

I didn't know he was on Oprah.

It was quite a bit of money he walked away from, I heard.

I can see both sides to this (and any celebrity griping story).

We've got this insane celebrity culture now that really goes beyond anything normal or sensible.

If I'm "famous", I expect to get photographed at premieres, entering swanky galas, maybe out on the town at a hot club, etc.

But if I'm home with my kids, on my property and just being a private, regular person...having idiots paparazzi climbing a tree or buzzing my house in helicopters isn't the kind of thing I'd want. And it's sick that there's even a NEED for it. The people who buy those mags and watch those dish shows, get a life. Do you really need to know who George Clooney or some chick from "The O.C." is dating, beyond "they've made it known, so it's no mystery" and it's common knowledge (Lance and Sheryl, etc.). But to go digging through garbage, staking places out, paying bellboys and valets for "whereabout tips", using a 300x telephoto lens to shoot into someone's backyard or whatever...that's goofy.

Not sure what Chappelle's thing was, other than it all perhaps seeming to get "too big, too fast" and slowly slipping from his control, with silly input from all quarters.

On one hand, you sign a contract/make a deal and you honor it. But if said contract or deal isn't what you want to buy into, then don't make it.

I've yet - even with the Lipton thing last night - to hear 100% the reason(s) for his upheaval earlier this year. He mentioned some things, so maybe it was lots of little things all taken together.

I don't know. He's a funny guy, and I'd be pretty much inclined to let him do whatever he wanted.

Then again, maybe he doesn't have a super strong work ethic, and with all the fame, money and obligations came real pressure or a sense of having to work harder/longer? He might not be up for that? He seems quite laidback and not a very "go, go, go...get, get, get!!!" personality?