View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-10-27, 00:34

Apples move away from things like iSight make sense, there are better webcams, albeit without the software integration. Most of the third party cameras, that aren’t junk, have better image quality, from what I’ve seen. Apple always seems to use cameras that are a generation behind the rest of the industry. It is odd that they don’t have something like an iSight for Mac Mini and Mac Pro users though. I haven’t used a third party webcam with a Mac, so I don’t know what the issues might be.

Apple routers worked well on the software side, but the designs hurt them, not visually, but otherwise. They got hot so easily, which hampered performance (we never got an Apple AC router so I don’t know what they were like), but the N units cooked themselves. The Timecapsule was worse than the router, we had both. The ASUS unit I use now has better signal strength, doesn’t get as hot, and doesn’t have the huge god forsaken green light that made a room as bright as daylight. I can program it to reboot on a regular basis, so it doesn’t go wonky. With the Apple units the only recourse was to pull the power cord, how dumb is that? The ASUS also has the ability to use a QR code, so I don’t have to tell guests and friends the password to use the network. Plugged in USB drives can go into standby, something that never seemed to happen with Apple routers.

Apple did some things very well, others, not so much.