Thread: 2018 iPhones
View Single Post
Ryan
Veteran Member

2018-09-29, 10:19

I'm seriously thinking about returning this Xs and keeping my 8.
  • It's just *slightly* too big. Barely larger than the 8 but it's just over the threshold where it becomes uncomfortable for me
  • Every time I look the mute switch has somehow been flipped off (ie unmuted), even in a case that protects that switch. Very annoying as I like my phone SILENT.
  • The lightning connector isn't very good, cables keep getting disconnected even while still firmly in the socket
  • Really not a fan of the lighter shade of brown in the current leather case lineup (this is a tiny nit, but hey)

Aesthetically I also find myself much more attached to the 8 than the Xs, which just feels bleh. The white face in its weathered brown leather case is beautiful. The Xs is... not.

Face ID is nice. I get frustrated by Touch ID whenever my fingers are a bit dirty and it doesn't work. I also really like the telephoto camera lens on the backā€”that was one of the main reasons I upgraded. I'm just not sure those two features are worth it when every day I just find myself kind of annoyed at the size of this thing? I usually keep my phone in my front-right pants pocket and I'm constantly afraid it's gonna slip out every time I sit down.

Dual SIM is a feature I *think* I might like for travel, if I can move my TMO number to eSIM and then pop in cheap data-only SIMs when abroad, but TMO also has free 2G data roaming and not-unreasonable pricing on per-GB LTE roaming. That offering has served me fine for years.

On the other hand, since I purchased the phone through TMO it's rolled into my phone bill and the total is still under what I'm allowed to expense each month, meaning my employer is effectively paying for my new phone, so the cost isn't that relevant.

I'm still within the free refund period for TMO and I may take that option. Plus, between the mute switch, lousy connector and fact I've already been through one defective Xs, I'm getting really concerned about the build quality on this model.

Last edited by Ryan : 2018-09-29 at 10:34.