View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-28, 13:07

Disclosure: I think Bruce Willis hung the moon. Always have, probably always will.

That being said, this movie is strictly so-so.

Some really great action sequences, but I wonder how many are heavy CGI work, vs. the originals, which looked and felt pretty "real". Still he owns that role - smirks, smart-ass comments and all - so it's nice to see him doing what he's good at.

It definitely hits the ground running. There is an explosion and several deaths within the first few minutes (as the opening credits are still being presented), and it doesn't let up.

As over-the-top as some of the action and stunts are, it's done with a knowing wink (and if you've seen the other three movies, you know what you're in for).

But it's missing something, and I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe just because we've see so many of these types of movies (the "Die Hard" franchise, as well as dozens of others based on that template), so it's just not fresh and as thrilling anymore? That might be part of it.

The plot centered on hacking, shutting down power grids and banking nationwide, re-routing money to the bad guys, etc. Nothing new or novel on that front, but just going about it in a new, modern way I guess.

But we've seen movies like this a lot. It's not as good or memorable as the first, but it's pretty decent.

Maybe a 6.5 or so on the 1-to-10 scale?

Nice cheap matinee popcorn flick, no doubt (especially if the weather is bad, and/or you have nothing else to do). Not sure I'd plan a "date" or big evening around it (or pay full price).

Justin Long (the Mac guy) co-stars throughout and is funny in places, and a pretty likable character. Kinda has that whole "bumbling, wry smart-ass" thing down that Seth Green usually makes his living with. But I chuckled out loud at his comments or expressions on more than a few occasions.

And McClane's daughter factors in a bit as well, and has some great comments and one-liners (she's her daddy's girl, no doubt about it).

And an amusing appearance, about halfway in, by Kevin Smith, playing a fellow hacker of Long's character. Some funny exchanges in those scenes, the two young guys and their geek lifestyle vs. McClane and his "old fart" stance.

Not much else to say. I've seen much better, but I've certainly seen much worse (especially these past couple of years). If you liked "Die Hard 3", you'll probably be okay with this one...with Justin Long taking over the "everyman" role from Samuel L. Jackson, as someone who, against his will, is thrown in with McClane and gets drawn into the thick of everything.

It is non-stop action, a lot of tech jargon, a few good laughs, Bruce & Co. escaping some impossible situations and scenes of high-tech gear doing wild, wacky stuff (a "cold" looking movie, scenes often shot with muted colors or tinted a bit blue, or dramatically lit in several scenes...stylistically, it's a bit of a departure from the previous three "Die Hard" flicks; reminded me of the Bourne flicks in places, and of "24" in others; lots of handheld camera work, quick cuts, the gunfire had that distinctive, realistic "crack" as opposed to the 80's Schwarzenegger "cannon boom", etc.).

So if all the above is your bag, then go for it! You'll probably enjoy it. It's probably enjoyed more with a larger, enthusiastic crowd (who can cheer the action and stunts, and laugh at the dialogue).

But we should all age as well as Willis has. He's the man.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2007-06-28 at 13:20.