Thread: SSH tunneling
View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-08-08, 14:17

Super bump! This seemed to be the best place to get some tutorial help.

I was trying to learn about SSH tunneling and I'm having a challenge getting it working on my local server. Brad, since Project-Think is gone I can't read your original articles but would like to.

What I'm trying to do is connect to my home server which is a Linux box running SME Server. I'm trying to be able to do command line stuff so I can eventually remove the monitor and keyboard from the box and just let it run. So my only real goal is to log in as root in secure shell to allow me to run those modifications.

I don't think I'll need remote access, since I can VPN via PPTP to the server and then do the SSH as though I'm on the local network. For the most part, all modifications would be using one of my Macs, though it is possible I'd need a PC access at some point.

So I saw an article that said I should open Terminal and type:
sudo ssh -L local port number:hostname

In this case it would: sudo ssh -L 22:192.168.4.1 Right?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.