Thread: SSH tunneling
View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-08-08, 15:40

That thread does help, but then it brings up the question of which is better? SSH or PPTP VPN? When I'm on my local network there really isn't an issue. Unless I want to be paranoid about my WiFi connection and it being sniffed.

At least I have been able to bring up Lenny in Terminal. (Lenny is the name of my Linux server, I'm so original I know. ) So for now I know how to connect to my server via VPN and then once connected it is as though I'm local to the machine. For my Terminal command I used "ssh root@192.168.4.1" and then entered my password and it brought up my "root@lenny" prompt.

So then if I VPN into my server I would be encrypted and can connect to the server without issue. But if I'm going to be modifying command line stuff and have to SSH into the server anyway, would it be better to straight SSH into the server? Seems like this would leave more open doors than I want. Seems to me the best option is to keep as many ports shut as possible.

So the Server is set to only allow connection from local network systems. Is VPN connection my best option?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.