Thread: SSH tunneling
View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-05-28, 06:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Using Tiger here.

Actually, that was what I tried earlier, but 1) the remote is already set to 5900, so I can't change that and it's not configurable from a console, 2) I tried it but got an error. Can't remember what it was, but at least I got it to work (by fudging- I used that delay to kill the vnc server and log in before it resurrects; probably not wisest, but I was tired and just wanted it out of way)
You can change what the remote 5900 maps to locally. Mapping to local 5900 is only a convenience. You can just as easily map it to, say, 5901 instead. This way you don't have to change anything on the VNC server's remote config.

Example:

Quote:
ssh -L 5901:127.0.0.1:5900 -C remoteuser@remoteaddress
When you access port 5901 on your local machine, it will be mapped to remoteaddress's port 5900. In terms of VNC, that means instead of "display 0" you want to use "display 1" because the display numbers start from 5900. So, if you use Chicken of the VNC on your Mac, you'll use address localhost and display 1.

In ShadowOfGed's example, he's mapping local port 1202 to the remote 5900 port, but not all VNC clients (like CotVNC) allow you to specify an arbitrary port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
To be clear, I didn't want any VNC server running. Or are you saying it's built-in?
Sounds like it. System Preferences -> Sharing -> Screen Sharing. Is it on or off?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.