View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-11-29, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Wow. I had no idea.

Makes no sense, since a whole new round of cables is required to make all that work. I thought they were going for consistency?
Well, if wireless devices weren't exempt, then AirPods would need a USB-C port. (But smartwatches seem exempt. No USB-C on your Apple Watch!)

It just seems an overreaching solution for a problem that hasn't actually been a big deal for a decade and a half. Like, if this were 2005 and your phone might have something weird like ExtUSB, or mini-USB, or micro-USB (those two are distinct!), or micro-USB 3.0, or Lightning, or the Dock connector, and the charger might have some proprietary jack, or none at all (see, old-school Apple MagSafe AC adapters, say), I could see the point. But basically any phone is now USB-C or Lightning, and basically any charger just has a USB-A or USB-C jack. So you don't need a new charger anyway, you just might need another cable.

I think the moment we started standardizing on a USB-A jack on the AC adapter, and now a USB-C one, this stopped being a problem. And that was, what, a decade ago?

Who asked for this?