View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-03, 12:20

Y’all sho know how to sweet-talk a fella…

Being serious for 20 seconds, while some here might want to believe this or that mindset/tone drove others away to Woker™ pastures, look at who's still left. This place is hardly a den of anything insidious or "wing-y". In fact, as message boards go, it's pretty wide-ranging...way the hell more than others I've been on, where it was just hardcore one way or the other (and I couldn't stay for either reason, frankly).

I see 2-3 people I'd probably call conservative (and, no...that's not a bad word either), and then a couple of folks like me who kinda float in the middle...I certainly lean right-of-center on matters of crime, national security, economics, etc. but I'd be deemed quite liberal in my stances on all the other things people use to checkbox one's bonafides by...gay marriage and all that kind of stuff; fact is I simply don't care and it's really nobody's business/interest, government or otherwise; which probably puts me in more of a libertarian(?) camp on many things? I don't know. I'm definitely not full-tilt "progressive" or Left-of-center across the board, but lots here are. The majority, even, I'd say.

Great, I don't care. Some of my favorite folks here - thegelding, torifile, Robo, etc. - I probably had zero in common with, politically. I still thought/think the world of them. I don't live and die by that stuff like too many do. I don't have a litmus test for "who I'll like", based on how they vote or which cable news network they tug it to.

And they have have a voice and are every bit as vocal and run with a thread as anyone else. Nobody here is cowering in a corner, afraid to speak their mind or offer their opinion. For the most part, people stay civil and try to back up their thoughts/beliefs, but it rarely gets outright nasty and cruel.

I left here for a while a few years ago because, yes indeed, one lone individual was lousing it up, floor to ceiling, and just making everything miserable; he's no longer here, and the place is better for it in every way. Has anyone here asked if THAT individual was the reason some left? I bet he was; he was the reason I left, and I've got a strong stomach and I punch back. Because he got into, constantly, with everyone here. Everyone. When you manage to piss off a group as disparate as Eugene, Robo and me, then you're quite special.

If someone wants to create an official "where I stand" poll, have at it. I'll throw in...I'll just check whatever matches closest to what I said above.

I think people have glommed onto Twitter, I think some just have significant others and/or families that maybe they didn't a decade ago. And, as we've discussed elsewhere (M1 notwithstanding), Apple just isn't the outfit they were 10-15 years, the perpetual, scrappy underdog taking it the rest; there haven't been too many things worth getting wound up about over the past 5-10 years...predictable, pedestrian yearly iPhone updates, random iPhone SE stuff that nobody but me cares about , Jony Ive putting his "stamp" all over a bunch of products and making them worse/less-than in the process, etc.

But all this AS/M1 stuff may be the thing that gets the remaining people here really excited. I know I've posted more about Macs in the past 10 or so months than I have in quite some time. It's a cool, bright future for the platform and, Toledoans aside, this may be a place to follow/discuss all that.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-03 at 13:37.