View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-01-20, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
That's what cars that go all-in on touchscreens get wrong.
This this this. A thousand times this.

I fucking loathe the trend to make every car control into a touchscreen. This absolutely influenced my decision to buy a new car a couple years ago, as it easily ruled out several major car makers. If I can't adjust the climate controls or turn down the volume purely by sense of touch without looking at a screen, your design has completely failed.

Some controls don't need flashy UIs with glowing gradients and sound effects, not to mention the boot time and input lag. They just need to work quickly and easily and consistently everywhere all the time.

I look forward to the logical conclusion of this trend where the steering wheel becomes a touchscreen you have to navigate with one finger (multi-touch input screens are obviously too expensive for a machine that already costs many tens of thousands of dollars) and you have to navigate to a different view to access the accelerator and brake interface.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.