View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2017-04-27, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Might want to do some fact checking before marking (sic) these statements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
What I disputed was the statement that PC makers were still only "band-aiding" 2.5" SATA SSD's into computers, which is just outright false.
I never said "only", but I should have said "generally", because that's what I meant. My bad.

What I did say is "Where other computer manufacturers are still band-aiding in 2.5" SATA SSD's" as in, "those companies are still using old-technology 2.5" SATA SSD's, where Apple has already given up on it and moved the entire product line on to faster storage." I did not say that none of them were using NVMe, only that they are still relying on older SSD tech across the majority of their lines, if they offer flash at all.

Some companies are offering NVMe in some models, but no company (Apple included) is offering it across the board. That said, 2.5" SATA SSD's are only optional in most of PC land, and not available at all with many systems. 2.5" mechanical drives are still the norm across the vast majority of PC offerings, including the big names you mentioned.

Apple is the only company (that I know of) that has made PCIe flash storage standard across its entire portable line. The MacBook and all 2016 Pro's use NVMe, while the older Air and 2015 Pro's use PCIe flash that is still faster than the 2.5" SATA SSD's the competition is [maybe] offering in [some of] their newer systems.

As far as the "I don't need that kind of speed" argument, well, I made it myself, once. When USB 3.0 was all the rage I argued it was just a fanboy spec thing, and that no one needed it outside the pro market. Now that I've gotten used to it (because it became ubiquitous in Apple's computer lineup) I would hate to be relegated back to the days of USB 2.0 drives. And that's the thing: By making it standard equipment, Apple is training their customer base to grow accustomed to faster storage. Everything eventually follows suit and, pretty soon, that once fast computer feels really slow because it has slow storage.

I have a 2011 13" Pro, and a 2012 quad i7 Mac Mini. I put an SSD in the pro and suddenly the 2x-faster Mini felt unbearably slow. No matter what your workflow, at some point everything you do on your computer has to look at that drive. Everything! The faster the better. I applaud Apple for skating to where that puck is going.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)