View Single Post
Kasracer

2006-02-18, 00:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend
Why an iPod with a touchsceen won't work.
The touchscreen will work, and I will prove my theory with a few key points:
In conclusion, I feel that the touchscreen iPod can (and, IMHO, will) be very successful as a product in the future.
What? So you wanted to prove why an iPod with a touchscreen won't work but you say it will also work?
Quote:
"But a soft-screen doesn't belong in your pocket, it could be damaged!" -- Would it really be any worse off than the current gens of iPods? Current iPods get nicked and scratched without proper care. If anything, people will certainly treat a large soft-screen iPod with more care than ever. Of course, plenty of vendors will make cases to protect the display of your new iPod.

A soft-screen iPod would work very well with few adverse consequences.
PDAs typically work with a layer of a gel like substance. Over time and pressed against a leg (or whatever pocket it's in) will damage the screen making it, over time, harder to select different things. This is why almost all PDAs are sold with cases.

Now Tablet PCs usually use a different technique using the pen transfering some sort of electronic signal to the computer. This wouldn't require a soft screen but this would mean you couldn't use your hands to select any controls on the screen.
Quote:
Number Two: Lots of mock-ups that I see have a ghost-like reflection of the clickwheel floating somewhere on the screen. People complain soooo much about what a mess it would be to have to drag out their iPod every time they wanted to adjust something so they could see the little ghost-wheel thing on the display. Who here says that their needs to even be a designated place to use the clickwheel? Couldn't you just use a series of gestures to simulate using the clickwheel ANYWHERE ON THE IPOD?? Is their a law that states that you must use a clickwheel to operate an iPod? NO!
You're missing the problem with this one. With a video iPod with a large screen, this doesn't become an issue at all before you will be watching the video. You won't start to play a video and then put it in your pocket. Sure you can play music for it but it's better suited for video. If you want to change music selection easily and portably, you'd get a regular video iPod.