View Single Post
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2013-02-11, 12:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
Am I the only one that thinks that a watch will be a huge bust?

Who wears a watch anymore? Sure, some people do for fashion, but those tend to be high end elegant watches.
Completely agree. The people who wear watches do so as a fashion statement. If practicality was considered important for watches, then everyone would be wearing a Timex or something, since digital watches are faster to read and have more functions than analog.

No, for practicality, you carry around a phone. Watches are decorative. The fact that they also tell the time is a nice little bonus. Any computer on your wrist would be either too small to use or too large to wear. No amount of clever engineering could fix that. Outside of a Star Wars-style holographic projector I guess.

I know "convergence" is an old idea that's been kicked around a ton, but that's where we're headed. In the 90s, everyone loved talking about how all your devices would be combined into a single one. And that's basically happened with smart TVs and do-everything smartphones.

We've already seen a few lukewarm attempts to merge phones with computers, like with the Motorola Atrix or Asus Padfone. Or Ubuntu for Android for that matter. They haven't become really popular yet but it's just a matter of time. This may be one area where Apple can step in and do their thing -- build off of existing ideas that didn't work so well, and refine them into something that really works. So maybe in some years you'll be able to plug your iPhone into a dock on your desk and seamlessly continue working from where you left off instead of having to worry about syncing or whatever.